Home › Advice and Guidance › Victims of Crime › Your Rights

Your Rights

The Victims Code of Practice

The Victims Code means:

  • You should be able to access services to support you following a crime.
  • You should receive regular updates on your case and an update when suspects are arrested, charged, bailed, issued with bail conditions.
  • You can make a complaint if you are unhappy with the way you have been treated.
  • You should receive extra support if you are a vulnerable or intimidated victim.

More information on the Victims Code of Practice can be found in this document.

There is also an easy to read leaflet about the Victims Code that has been produced by the Ministry of Justice.

Advice for Victims

The booklets (pdf format) that we have provided below tell you what you can expect from the Criminal Justice System, and explains, what happens now, how to get advice and support, your rights and where you can find more information.

Advice for adults on the victims code

Advice for under 18s on the victims code

This is a short film about the victims code

These are audio files of all victims code advice



Violent Crime:

If you have been injured in a violent crime, you can apply for compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. 

Telephone: 0300 003 3601

Injury, Loss, Damage:

If you have suffered injury, loss or damage as a result of the crime you may be able to claim compensation.

You must tell the police if you want compensation so that the Crown Prosecution Service can apply for a compensation order.

Contact Gwent Police or the officer in charge of your case.