The Overseas Visitors Registration Office (OVRO) is the place to visit in Gwent if you live in Gwent and have been required to register with the police, an essential part of many foreign nationals’ visa conditions.

Our details

Our address is:

Gwent Police Headquarters
NP44 2XJ

View Gwent Police Headquarters on map

How to make an appointment

You can make your appointment online, or call us. Please don't visit without an appointment. Click 'Start' at the bottom of this page to complete our quick and simple online form.

Average completion time: 5 mins

Please check what to bring with you.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Opening times for appointments

Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 12pm and 2pm to 3.30pm
Saturday and Sunday: closed
UK public holidays and bank holidays: closed

When to attend

You must visit us to register and get your police registration certificate (PRC) within seven days of arriving in Gwent. This is important, because if you don't you may face:

  • a £5,000 fine
  • a prison sentence
  • recommendation of deportation
  • a ten-year ban on entering the UK

We'll post your PRC to you by recorded delivery within seven days after you've attended your appointment. 

Unsure if you need to register? Read our advice for first time visitors: who needs to register as a foreign national?

When your details change

If you change any of your personal or contact details whilst studying or working in Gwent, you'll need to make an appointment with us using our online form; click 'start at the bottom of this page.

See reporting a change in circumstances or new visa to find out more about your particular change.

You must report any of the following changes within seven days:

  • change of address
  • change of college/university/course
  • change of occupation
  • change in marital status
  • new landing conditions (re-entry visa)
  • new passport details
  • children born whilst you are in the UK
  • exemption from Police Registration

When you transfer to Gwent

If you're already registered with another force and you move to Gwent, you now need to update your certificate by making an appointment to register with us, as above.

If you lose your certificate

If you've lost your police registration certificate, please make an appointment in the same way. We'll ask you about why and how you lost it, before we can consider issuing you a new one.

Please see our full checklist of what to bring with you when you visit us.