Officers are investigating following a report of a sexual assault in Newport. The incident happened at around 6.30pm on Saturday 28th September 2019. The female victim was running along Usk Way, close to the footpath near Discount Tyres when she was approached from behind by an unknown man who touched her buttocks. The victim hit out at the offender, before running away.
The man is described as being white, in his 20’s, of slim build and around 5’7 in height. He was wearing tracksuit bottoms and a dark coloured hooded top.
Officers are investigating and are appealing for information. If you were in the area and witnessed this incident, or if you saw anyone matching this description acting suspiciously in the area around the time, please call 101 quoting ref 1900359516 or you can send a direct message to our Facebook or Twitter social media pages. You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111.
Whilst the chances of you or a member of your family becoming a victim of crime are low, we do want to offer some suitable advice;
• Let someone know where you're going and for how long you’re planning to be out.
• Consider downloading a fitness tracker app on which a trusted family member or friend can trace your movements, just remember to lock your privacy setting from public to private.
• Take your phone out with you and make sure you have your battery charged.
• Plan your route beforehand, taking into account whether it will be a busy or well-lit area.
• Consider running or walking with others if possible.
• If you feel uncomfortable, or at risk, look for a place of safety, such as a shop or anywhere where there are other people and tell someone your concerns.
• Be aware of your surroundings - concentrate on what and who is around you.
• Don’t be distracted by using mobile gadgets and MP3 players. If you are listening to music, make sure it's not too loud so that you are aware of someone approaching you.
'Oherwydd natur frys y cyhoeddiad hwn, nid oes cyfieithiad uniongyrchol yn Gymraeg ar gael ar hyn o bryd. Rydym yn ymddiheuro am unrhyw anghyfleustra a byddwn yn gweithio i sicrhau y caiff y neges hon ei rhyddhau yn ddwyieithog yn fuan. Diolch.'
‘Due to the urgent nature of this publication, there is no immediate translation into the medium of Welsh available at this time. We apologise for any inconvenience and will work to ensure this message is released bilingually shortly. Thank you.’