Police officers will come to wherever the incident has taken place and will take whatever action is needed to make you safe.
Officers will separate the parties involved so that you will have an opportunity to speak to them in confidence about what has happened and any previous incidents, without the offender being around to intimidate or threaten you.
If you call Gwent Police your call may be recorded and may be used as evidence.
Gwent Police as a priority will:
- Ensure the safety and wellbeing of victims, their families and any other person present
- Thoroughly investigate all incidents
- Complete a risk assessment
- Actively pursue offenders and bring them to justice
- Ensure you are provided with information and advice about the support available from other agencies
If you call Gwent Police to report Domestic Abuse, you can help us to help you by:
- Providing as much detail as possible about what has happened to you
- Making a note of the time, date and place the incident(s) took place
- Providing the names and addresses of anyone who saw/heard the abuse or who you told about what was happening to you.
- Keeping anything that may confirm what happened to you e.g. mobile phone video or audio recording, threatening text messages or abusive mail