The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 is the main legislation covering drugs. It puts drug into different categories, known as Class A, B and C. Drugs regulated in this way are known as ‘controlled’ substances. Class A drugs are those considered to be the most harmful. Under the Misuse of Drugs Act it is an offence to:

  • possess a controlled substance
  • possess a controlled substance with the intent to supply
  • unlawfully supply a controlled drug (even when there’s no charge made for the drug)
  • allow premises you occupy or manage to be used for the purpose of drug taking

Know the signs for drug taking

Please note these are only some of the signs and should not be treated as absolute proof of drug abuse:

  • Sudden changes in mood and behaviour (erratic, irritable, moody, hyperactivity, restlessness, etc.)
  • Deterioration in personal appearance, health and hygiene
  • Easily or constantly fatigued
  • Secretiveness
  • Depression
  • Increased absenteeism from work
  • Loss of appetite
  • Stealing money or goods
  • Excessive spending or money-borrowing
  • Deterioration of long friendships and relationships

Get support

  • Worried about a child? Advice for parents and carers
  • Worried about a friend? Here’s how you can help them out
  • The Frank helpline provides free, confidential advice, counselling and referral to specialist services 24 hours a day. The Talk to Frank website also has a facility for finding organisations in your local area that can help you

Reporting drug crime

We’re working to break the chain between drug use and crime but we need your help. If you’re concerned about drug use or dealing in your area, no matter how small, we want to know. To report drug activity please call 101 or by calling Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or reporting online.