Firearms Licensing

The following pages offer advice and guidance for the grant and renewal of Firearms, Shotgun and Explosives Certificates, Registered Firearms Dealers and Home Office Approved Target Shooting Clubs throughout Gwent.

Firearms Licensing is responsible for issuing the following certificates to residents of Gwent:

  • Firearms Certificates
  • Shotgun Certificates
  • Explosives Certificates
  • European Certificates
  • Visitors permits
  • Registered Firearms Dealership Certificates
  • Temporary certificates for shotguns and firearms

Application forms can be downloaded from Online Forms.

Gwent Police hold regular open days for current certificate holders and potential certificate holders at different venues throughout Gwent. In attendance are Firearms Enquiry Officers and Admin Support Staff to assist with any queries. These are advertised on Gwent Police Twitter and Facebook pages.

Further information and guidance can be found using the following links:

Firearms Licensing is based at Gwent Police Headquarters, Croesyceiliog.

1 Senior Firearms Enquiry Officer
4 Firearms Enquiry Officers (1 explosives liaison)
6 Firearms Administrators

Cheques are accepted and should be made payable to ‘Police and Crime Commissioner for Gwent’

Card payment can be made by contacting the office on:
01495 745 445
01495 768 458
01633 642 004
01633 642 172
01495 745 446
01495 745 462

Phone: Monday – Thursday 8:00 – 17:00 Friday 8:00 – 16:00

Email: [email protected]


Firearms Certificate Grant£88.00
Firearms Certificate Renewal£62.00
Firearms Certificate Replacement£4.00
Shotgun Certificate Grant£79.50
Shotgun Certificate Renewal£49.00
Shotgun Certificate Replacement£4.00
Shotgun Coterminous Grant£90.00
Shotgun Coterminous Renewal£65.00
Visitor's Firearm Certificate Issue (Single Application)£20.00
Visitor's Firearms Certificate Issue (group of 6 or more)£100.00
Home Office Club Approval£84.00
Registered Firearms Dealer Grant£200.00
Registered Firearms Dealer Renewal£200.00
Registered Firearms Dealer additional place of business£12.00
Registered Firearms Dealers Fairs & Exhibitions£13.00
Firearms Museum Licence Issue & Renewal£200.00


You must not withhold information about any conviction.

This includes motoring offences (including speeding offences), bindovers, formal written cautions and convictions in and outside Great Britain, and (by virtue of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975) convictions which are spent under the 1974 Act.

A conditional discharge and an absolute discharge both count as convictions for this purpose.

Details of parking offences and fixed penalty notices do not need to be declared.

Section 21 of the Firearms Act 1968 places restrictions on the possession of firearms and ammunition by those previously convicted of crime.

A person receiving a sentence of imprisonment of three months or more is prohibited from possessing a firearm, shotgun, antique firearm, air weapon or ammunition for five years from the date of their release.

In the case of a suspended sentence the prohibition applies from the second day after being sentenced.

If the sentence is three years or more the prohibition applies for life unless lifted by the Crown (or Sheriff) Court.

A reminder to renew your firearm or shotgun license will be sent to you in the post, please ensure that your address details are always up to date as per the conditions of your license.

A renewal pack will be sent to your registered address 12 weeks before you’re due to expire.

A reminder will be sent 8 weeks before you’re due to expire.

As a certificate holder you are responsible for submitting your renewal in good time. Failure to renew your license on time can result in you being in unlawful possession of a weapon.

An up-to-date photograph is required each time you renew your certificate. The one submitted previously will not be acceptable and may delay the processing of your application.

Shotgun & Firearms Certificate Holders

All applications whether they are a grant or renewal will require a response from your GP. A letter will be sent to your GP once your application has been received. You are responsible to make contact with your GP for progress updates and settle any payment for the report.

Registers Firearms Dealers (RFD)

If you wish to apply to be a registered firearms dealer, you are obligated to obtain a report from your GP at your own cost. If you are a current shotgun or firearms certificate holder, unless there have been adverse changes to your health a GP report from your most recent application will suffice.