Foreign National Registration

Temporary changes due to COVID-19

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there is a temporary hold on the registration of foreign nationals. For more information please see the government guidance here.

  • If you are visiting the UK you may be required under the Immigration Regulation Act 1972 to register with the Police
  • This requirement will be found on your visa or in correspondence received from the Home Office Immigration Department informing you of your status
  • Failure to register with the Police is a criminal offence which could lead to prosecution and could affect any further application to stay in the UK

Who has to register?

As stated above, some foreign nationals, over the age of 16, who have the requirement to register imposed must report to the local police to register their details within seven days of entry into the UK. This is a legal requirement. 

Countries to which this applies are listed below

ArmeniaIranNorth KoreaTurkey
BahrainIsraelPalestineUnited Arab Emirates
China (inc Hong Kong)KuwaitSaudi Arabia

If you are required to register with the Police, you should report to the address below within seven days of arriving in the United Kingdom.  Please contact the department for an appointment.

Overseas Visitors Registration Office, Gwent Police Headquarters, Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran, NP44 2XJ 
Tel: 01633 642268
Email: [email protected]

Wednesday 08:30-12:30Closed13:30-15:30

You will need to produce:

  • Passport
  • Visa/biometric identity card
  • £34.00 cash
  • Two passport sized photographs
  • Confirmation of your University/College placement or Work permit
  • Confirmation of address (e.g. rental agreement)
  • An Application for Registration of a Foreign National Form.  It will save you a lot of time if you could complete this form and print it off prior to attending to register

Once you have registered, you must inform the Police of any changes to your circumstances within 7 days.

To report any of these changes you must attend at the Overseas Visitors Registration Office, in the Police area where you now reside. 

You need to bring your Passport and Police Registration Certificate with you so that the Overseas Visitors Registration Office staff can update your Police Registration Certificate for you.  There is no additional charge for changes.

Changes that need to be reported include:

  • Change of address 
  • Change of employment/University/College or course 
  • Visa extension 
  • New Passport 
  • Change of marital status

If you have any questions regarding your Police Registration, please contact the Overseas Visitors Registration Office on 01633 642268 or email [email protected]

For any other immigration or visa queries visit the Home Office  - UK Visas and Immigration website.