Officers are advising people to secure their garages, sheds and gardens following a recent spate of burglaries and attempted break-ins across the north of Torfaen.
We’ve had 18 incidents in the New Inn, Pontypool, Abersychan and Blaenavon areas between 18th February and 9th of March 2019. Nine of these attempts resulted in items including tools, strimmers, hedge-cutters, drills, and mountain bikes being stolen.
If you have any information about the crimes call us on 101 quoting log number 230 (18/2/19) or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Here are some tips for keeping your shed, garages and property safe…
· Is your shed in good repair? Make sure the wood around door and window frames are solid, replacing any damaged or rotten parts.
· How many locks do you have? Use good quality padlocks with covers so they cannot be cut off easily and consider fitting two strong padlock hasps. It could be worth considering fitting shutters or grilles to windows, or blocking them completely.
· If you have valuables in the shed, consider a strong lockable box. Wrapping a chain around the handles of tools, lawn mowers and bikes could be advisable.
· If you have a household alarm fitted, consider extending the system into the garage area.
· Do you have adequate lighting? Illuminate the area between dusk and dawn. Help make your property look occupied with timer switches for lights in different rooms. Always make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using electrical security devices.