Officers are reminding residents to secure their vehicles following reports of van break-ins and van thefts in the Monmouthshire area.
In recent weeks, three Ford Transit vans have been stolen and another has been broken into in the Govilon and Gilwern areas. Officers are investigating and our enquiries are ongoing.
Sergeant Stephen James, of Monmouthshire Neighbourhood Policing Team, said; "Whilst we are continuing to investigate, we would like to remind drivers to be vigilant and take all necessary precautions to protect themselves from crime. Do not make yourself vulnerable to this type of offence.
“Anyone who is a victim of this sort of crime is urged to report it to us immediately so we can carry out enquiries as soon as possible.
"If you have any information, please contact Gwent Police on 101, quoting log 1900325250. You can also direct message us on Facebook or Twitter. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."
We know it is not practical to advise drivers to empty their van every night and re-load it in the morning. Instead, here's our advice on how to make your van and its contents less of a target:
- Don’t put temptation in view of the burglar; keep valuables hidden away so that they cannot be seen through windows.
- Put portable items out of view in gloveboxes and storage compartments.
- Store tools in secure cabinets or boxes within the van.
- Try to park in a place that's well-lit and open to public view - thieves will be less likely to target your vehicle if they believe they might be disturbed.
- Park so that any vulnerable doors are up against solid objects - this will restrict access and make it harder for anyone to break in.
- Thieves know the weak points of various makes of van - research yours so you can take appropriate measures.
- Add supplementary locks to the existing locks - the more a thief has to do to break in, the more likely they are to move on to an easier target. There are a wide range available, including deadlocks for the doors and high security padlocks and hasps for the cargo doors.
- Add a vehicle alarm, immobiliser or tracking device if your van does not already have one.