Jump to Navigation Jump to Content

Your non-emergency phone number

Published: Tuesday, 19 June 2012

There are many ways you can get in touch with Gwent Police, but our 101 phone number is the preferred method of contact for non-emergency incident and crime reporting.

We're here for Gwent 24/7 and since 101 was introduced across Wales in April 2009, the number has been called more than 240,000 times. You can call 101 to report a crime that has already happened, seek crime prevention advice or make us aware of any policing issues in your local area. In an emergency always call 999.

The Gwent Police Contact Centre, who deal with all non-emergency calls within Gwent, aim to answer every 101 call within 30 seconds. This target was achieved for more than 85% of calls between April 2011 and April 2012. Some incidents and busy calling periods account for the small number of calls that are answered outside the target time.

Contact Centre manager Jo Glastonbury-Watkins said: The usage of 101 in Gwent is increasing as more people realise the number is an easy, simple and memorable method of contacting us.

"I'd like to encourage people to use 101 because it is the best way to get straight through to someone who can deal with non-emergency crimes and incidents."

101 Frequently Asked Questions

When to call 101?
You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response.

For example, you should call 101 if:

  • your car has been stolen
  • your property has been damaged
  • you suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

Or to:

  • report a minor traffic collision
  • give the police information about crime in your area
  • speak to the police about a general enquiry

What is the difference between 101 and 999?
You should continue to call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened. To contact the police for any other reason, call 101.

What does it cost to call 101?
Calls to 101 (from both landlines and mobile networks) cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call, or how long you are on the phone.

Why does it cost 15p to call 101?
The 15p cost of the call goes to the telephony providers to cover the cost of carrying the calls. The police and government receive no money from calls to 101.

Who will answer my 101 call?
You are not be put through to a large national call centre, calls to 101 are answered by police staff in the Gwent Police control room. This ensures that staff with local knowledge can answer and deal with the calls and respond appropriately.

When you call 101, the system will determine your location and connect you to the police force covering that area. You will hear a recorded message announcing the police force you are being connected to. If you are on a boundary between two or more forces, the recorded message will give you a choice of which force to be connected to.

How do I contact Gwent Police if I'm out of the Force area?
If you are calling from an area that is using 101, police operators will put you through to the relevant police force to deal with your query. Alternatively you can ring the central switchboard at Gwent Police directly by dialling 01633 838111

I am deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, can I call 101?
Yes, you can textphone 18001 101.

What if English is not my first language?
We have access to professional interpreters so they can quickly translate your call if you have difficulty speaking English.

What about reporting general nuisance or environmental issues?
You should continue to call your local council for things like:

  • dog fouling
  • abandoned vehicles
  • dumping and fly tipping
  • Noise nuisance

For more information on how to contact your local council please visit:

Blaenau Gwent http://www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk/
Caerphilly http://www.caerphilly.gov.uk/
Monmouthshire http://www.monmouthshire.gov.uk/
Newport http://www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index.cfm
Torfaen http://www.torfaen.gov.uk/en/home.aspx

What should I do if the 101 number is currently blocked on the phone at my workplace / college / business premises?

As 101 is a relatively new number, some business phone systems and switchboards may not yet be programmed to recognise 101. Please contact the person who administers your phone system to request that access is opened to the 101 number.